My Favorite Autograph Sets
My Top 10 List + 2 (Updated April 15th, 2021)
This page lists my favorite Autograph sets. Only the sets that I have at least one card from were taken into consideration for this list. It takes me quite a while to complete some of these sets, but that is what makes it fun. Every card manufacturer has at least one autographed set, so it isn't hard find one that appeals to you. However, in my case, most of them appeal to me.
It's hard to imagine, but there was a time when there was no such thing as Autographed card sets. My, have we come a long way. Pro-Line was the first to offer the "All-Autographed" card set back in 1991, since then, every single card manufacturer has had an autographed set. Sometimes, I wonder how the players do it.
The sets listed below are my favorite Autograph sets, insert or otherwise; (Excluding Memorabilia cards).
1) 1997 SP: "Sign of the Times" - In my opinion, The Autograph card by which all others are judged. The card front displays multiple player photos, there is ample space for the player to sign, the set size is adequate and if you're into it, there are even collectible autograph redemptions.
1997 Upper Deck SP: “Dan Marino” Sign of the Times #22B
2) 1999 Sports Illustrated: “Autographs" - I finally got around to putting this set together. Was this a really great idea or what?!! Simply Awesome!!
1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated: “Bert Jones” Autographs #13
3) 1998 Press Pass: “Autographs” - Press Pass really puts some nice Autographs sets together. To me, this is their best.
1998 Press Pass: “Donovin Darius” Autograph RC #28
4) 1997 Upper Deck Legends: “Autographs” - Although I'm not a real big fan or sets that strictly include retired players. This set is truly different. Not only that, but it’s one of the most significant sets to be released in the last 25 years.
1997 Upper Deck Legends: “Wes Chandler” Autograph #AL87
5) 1999 Upper Deck SP: “Player’s Ink” - The nice set that they released in 1998, they improved on in 1999.
1999 Upper Deck SP: “Tim Couch” Players Ink #TC
6) 2001 Fleer Focus: "Certified Cuts” - How could you not like this set? A card / check signed by some of the 2001 class crop of rookies. And you have unlisted cards and auto redemptions in this 20-card set, as well. Gotta love it!!
2001 Fleer Focus: “Drew Brees” Certified Cuts #CCDB
7) 2000 Upper Deck Gold Reserve: "UD Authentics" - These autograph cards are difficult to find and this card, in particular, wasn't even listed in the latest Beckett. These cards have a really nice design. They also have a parallel set #'d to 25 that includes new pictures too. A pure collectible.
2000 Upper Deck Gold Reserve: “Brad Johnson” UD Authentics #BJ (Unlisted)
8) 2000 Bowman: “Autographs” - When the card front gives the player ample space to sign, I always feel as if the cards look better. The 2000 Bowman release, did just that.
2000 Bowman: “Courtney Brown” Autograph #CB
9) 1997 Press Pass: “Autographs” - The 1997 set was tough to put together and finding singles was difficult. It shows how sought after the Press Pass brand really was.
1997 Press Pass: “Reinard Wilson” Autograph RC #30
10) 1998 Skybox Premium: “Autographics” - Very nice large set, (68 cards), assortment of players and very nice card stock.
1998 Skybox Premium: “Sean Dawkins” Autographics #18
I like to hold a couple spots for sets that recently fell off the "Top 10" list or sets that just couldn't crack the "Top 10", but should still have a word said about them. So without wasting any more time here are two "Honorable Mentions".
11) 1995 Pro-Line: “Autographs” - Another superb autograph set filled with some great players. There is no known explanation of what the "AP" stands for, but hobbyists have thought that it means “After Production.”
1995 Proline Live: “Jack Del Rio” Autograph #26B
12) 1996 Pro-Line: “Autographs” - Another Winner from Pro-Line. This 72-card behemoth of a set includes rookies and veterans. And, more importantly, a good assortment of defensive players too. The 1996 set utilizes the new on-the-front certification.
1996 Proline: “Blaine Bishop” Autograph (Blue) #4